A focussed, highly technical academic and creative student. Currently interested in colour and materials for automotive and interiors.
This project explores textile designs for an luxury autonomous automotive vehicle that exists in the future. Inspired by nature and the ability that it has to evolve and grow, the aims of this project were to utilise biophilic design elements that can bring the outdoors in.
Lasered Wood and Fern Wall Hanging:
Inspired by biophilic architecture, I wanted to used wooden panels to create a natural decorative interior piece. After doing some modelling of 3D fractals, I decided to engrave some of the patterns generated onto wooden panels. I digitally embroidered and laser cut leaves to fill the cracks between the wood.
Using Scotweave, I was able to translate my artworks into jacquard designs. I focussed on creating aesthetic designs that incorporate gradients in their construction.
Wooden Wall Hanging:
For this piece I separated one of my initial photograph into 3 colours, these became the different layers of wood. The wood was laser-cut and pieced together like a jigsaw.
Fringed Wall Hanging:
Using the laser-cutter, I cut holes into plywood following one of my designs. I then wrapped this with one of my digital prints and thread cotton and wool threads through the fabric.
Using Conductive thread, I was able to stitch a circuit onto material. On this design, when the two clips join together, the circuit completes and integrated LED lights turn on. To create the straps I used passementerie weaving techniques using wool and cotton and wove in grass seeds so that when the belt is no longer in use it will biodegrade and grow.
Using Photoshop I created repeats using my drawings and initial photography as a reference. I also used a Wacom and drew straight into Photoshop.
Journey To The Show
For this project many tests had to be done. Laser tests had to be done for the different types of wood and engraves/cuts and there were many leaves embroidered to ensure I achieved the look that I wanted. Most of the files for these tests were created using Adobe Illustrator.
I did many digital edits for this project, exploring different textures and colours. My initial photography was integral to creating the images I used for my final designs